Loading...

Monday, October 06, 2008

JOEY BROOKS: IN HIS OWN WORDS

October 6, 2008


Joey Brooks still has over a year to go before he will begin practice as a member of the Notre Dame basketball team. However, he already seems like a veteran of the program since he has now been a committed member of Mike Brey's 2009 recruiting class for 11 months, making his decision to pledge with the Irish last November.

The Houston native, who attends Strake Jesuit High School, impressed the NBE Basketball Report tremendously this summer as reported in the Lebron James Skills Academy Update, Part I as it definitely looks like the Irish Got a Pot of Gold in Brooks which is evident once again in his Q&A with NBE that follows below...

-
Read More...Click 'Read More' Below!!!

-



NBE Basketball Report (NBE): What is your current height, weight?

Joey Brooks (JB): I'm 6'5, 200


NBE: On the court, what part of your game do you feel will be your biggest strength helping you from the beginning at Notre Dame?

JB: My biggest strength will be my ability to get into the lane and make plays for both myself and my teammates. Scoring, finding open shooters and getting to the free throw line, things like that.


NBE: What part of your game has improved the most in the last year?

JB: The range on my jumpshot has improved a lot in the past year.


NBE: What part of your game do you plan to work on the most prior to getting to ND?

JB: And at the same time, I really need to work on the consistency of my jumper, which will take me from being a pretty good shooter to being a really really good shooter.



NBE: What was the main reason for choosing ND?

JB: The main reason for choosing ND for me was the obvious opportunity to play significant minutes early, that was really big. And Coach Brey, I love coach Brey, he is my kind of coach, a players coach. Not to mention the top of the line education which will allow me to do whatever I want and be successful after basketball.


NBE: What is your relationship with Coach Brey and the staff members?

JB: I am really close with all (of) the staff, but I am closest with Coach Brey, because I was recruited mainly by Coach Cross and Coach Brey and when coach Cross left to take the head job at Toledo, a bunch of schools started asking questions and stuff like that but it was a blessing in disguise because coach Brey and I started talking a lot more and that made our relationship stronger. Also Coach Kearney, Coach Solomon, coach Inglesby and coach Balanis are all great guys who I'm very comfortable with.


NBE: What other schools did you consider?

JB: I was considering Wake Forest, Marquette, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Pitt and Vanderbilt.


NBE: What was the highlight of your recent visit to South Bend?

JB: The Highlight of my visit was just hanging out and talking with all the players and my future teammates (Jack Cooley and HOPEFULLY Ryan Kelly), especially Kyle M, Luke Z and Ryan Ayers. Three of the seniors who were giving me advice and confidence (whether they knew it or not). Those guys are great and it was cool hanging out with them and soaking up as much knowledge as I could!


NBE: What was on the weekend's agenda? Who did you spend most time with?

JB: I spent the most time with Carleton Scott, (luke Harabgody) 'Gody, Tory (Jackson) and like I said Kyle (McAlarney), but I got a chance to meet all the guys including the two transfers who I like a lot, Scott (Martin) and Ben (Hansbrough). The agenda was really hectic, we did so many things. We went to the pep rally which was ridiculous, played and worked out with some of the players, of course went to the football game, had dinner at coach' house. We pretty much did everything!

NBE: On a topic much more serious than basketball, the state of Texas has gone through a tough time in the wake of Hurricane Ike, could you relay some of your experiences related to the storm?

JB: Well as far as the hurricane, we had to stay in Chicago an extra day because of Ike, then when we finally got home, luckily we only had damage to our fences and some debris and tree branches in our front yard. Our electricity was knocked out for about a week which was interesting, nothing like a little perspective! But I have no complaints because My family was safe and no major damage really happened to our house or anything. I just want to send out prayers to the people who lost loved ones or had significant property damage because of Ike.


Anyone who would like to give to the Red Cross Disaster Relief fun to help victims of Hurricane Ike and other disasters, both present and in the future, please visit the National Disaster Relief Fund Page at american.redcross.org.

Thank you...and, thank you and best of luck to Joey Brooks. He has a bright future on and off the court ahead of him!



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home